Questions answered about $30 Tabs Initiative and its signature drive
* Who can sign a petition? This is a statewide initiative so any voter anywhere in the state can sign it. We’re all paying more than $30 for our vehicle tabs so we all have a right to support an initiative that lowers them to $30 for everyone.
* How many signatures do we need? 300,000.
* What is the deadline for getting signatures? Dec 31st so we have 5 months to distribute petitions and collect signatures.
* Can we get 300,000 sigs in 5 months? In 1999, we got 514,000 signatures in 5 months and we did that without a website, an email address, or a big database of supporters. We’ve done it before and we can do it again.
* How many voters can sign a petition? A petition sheet contains 20 lines for 20 voters. So filling up 5 petitions means you got 100 voters to sign up.
* What does our $30 Tabs Initiative do? It gets rid of numerous taxes and fees imposed on vehicles. It repeals weight fees and other vehicle taxes and fees imposed by state government, it eliminates vehicle fees imposed by cities, and it stops Sound Transit’s car tab taxes. It also repeals the vehicle valuation schedule that Sound Transit is using to artificially inflate and dishonestly calculate vehicle taxes. $30 Tabs for cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, motorcyles, motor homes, 5th wheels, and other vehicles. $30 means $30.
* What about Sound Transit’s bonds? In section 13 of our initiative, we require any outstanding bonds secured by car tab taxes to be retired or refinanced. In a hearing this year, Sound Transit officials admitted that all their bond contracts have an early retirement provision.
* Why did we decide to do this initiative now? Timing is everything. Folks are absolutely furious about their skyrocketing car tab taxes. It’s all people are talking about. And even though vehicle owners screamed at legislators for relief, the Legislature held hearings but nothing was passed (Sound Transit blocked all Republican bills that would have fixed the problem).
* Is $30 tabs popular? KOMO news poll shows 85% support.
* Greatest threat to this signature drive? Overconfidence.
* How can you help? Donate, collect signatures.
Send me an email and let me know how many petitions you want, your address, and your phone number. I will find an Office Depot, Staples, Minuteman Press, or Kinko’s near you, order the petitions for you, and all you need to do is pick them up. It is a petition distribution revolution that more and more supporters are taking advantage of.