Senate report confirms Sound Transit lied — there’s only one way to fight back
The Senate Law and Justice Committee released a report yesterday that indicts Sound Transit for its’ many lies:
* Sound Transit’s bill was purposely drafted to hide their artificially inflated vehicle valuation schedule.
* Sound Transit repeatedly told the Legislature to give them “the full $15 billion” but bait-and-switched it to $54 billion.
* ST3 promised car tab taxes would cost around $80 (my $407.75 car tab bill shows that was a lie).
Sound Transit lied to the Legislature, Sound Transit lied to the voters.
In response to the committee’s stinging report, the Sound Transit Industrial Complex is circling the wagons, essentially saying “Everyone just shut up, we stole the money fair and square.”
There’s only one way to fight back against Sound Transit’s duplicity and deceptions: our $30 Tabs Initiative I-947.
Our initiative COMPLETELY REPEALS Sound Transit’s dishonest, inaccurate, artificially inflated vehicle valuation schedule. Our initiative COMPLETELY REPEALS all of Sound Transit’s car tab taxes. Our initiative COMPLETELY REPEALS weight fees and other vehicle charges imposed by state government. Our initiative COMPLETELY REPEALS the per vehicle fees imposed by cities and their transportation benefit districts.
Our initiative leaves in place a flat, fair, reasonable $30 annual fee for cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, motorcycles, motor homes, RVs, 5th wheels, and other vehicles. Regardless of your vehicle’s year, value, make, or model, you will write a check for $30 to license it.
Voters approved $30 tabs in 1999 and voters approved $30 tabs in 2002. And for about 10 years, car tab taxes stayed low. But in 2007, Governor Gregoire opened up Pandora’s box by allowing local governments to once again increase vehicle charges. In the past few years, car tab taxes have SKYROCKETED for vehicle owners across the state.
I’ve been hearing people say this for years: “Whatever happened to our $30 car tabs?”
There’s two ways you can help Bring Back Our $30 Car Tabs and stick it to Sound Transit:
1) ask for petitions and help collect signatures (collect 1000+ signatures and earn yourself an uber-orange $30 Tabs t-shirt)
2) donate (just think about how much you’ve saved over the years from our other two successful $30 Tabs Initiatives)