Tim is 47 today — yay!!!
I’ve always been a glass-is-more-than-half-full kind of guy. So when I read in today’s Seattle Times the endless number of politicians and special interest groups salivating at the prospect at raising everyone’s gas taxes and car tab taxes next year (http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019957303_transpotax22m.html), I always remind myself of the positive:
* If not for all of you and the voters’ approval of Initiative 695 in 1999 and I-722 in 2002, car tab taxes would be hundreds and many times thousands of dollars more than they are today.
* If not for all of you and the voters’ approval of Initiative 747 in 2001, property taxes would have grown UP TO 6 TIMES FASTER over the past 10 years.
* If not for all of you and the voters’ approval of Initiative 960 in 2007, politicians would have radically increased taxes in 2008 and 2009 (I-960 stopped all tax hikes in those 2 years).
* If not for all of you and the voters’ approval of Initiative 1053 in 2010, politicians would have jacked up taxes in 2011 and 2012 (I-1053 stopped tax hikes in those 2 years).
* If not for all of you and the voters’ approval of Initiative 1185 this year, Olympia would have had nothing to stop them from going on a tax-hiking rampage (they might anyway, but we’ve made it a whole lot tougher for them).
There’s much more to be happy about than sad about. Let’s focus on the positive as we enter 2013.
It’s my birthday today (magic number 47) and I’m a very happy man. I’m proud to know you and thoroughly enjoy going into battle with you.
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz6QdhgQHQ4 (it’s from 2010 but I think it’s truly timeless)